Aspo's History

Aspo's roots go back to 1929 when Asunto-osakeyhtiöitten Polttoaine Osuuskunta started operating by importing coke required by building associations for central heating.

The operation slowly expanded into transportation, shipping and the distribution of chemicals. Aspo acquired its first vessel in 1949 and started the establishment of a chemicals unit at the end of the 1960s. In the 1970s, Aspo's operations further expanded into electronics.

In October 1999, the company demerged into two independent listed companies: Aspo that specialized in industrial logistics services, and Aspocomp that focused on electronics.

Since this structural change, Aspo has consistently strengthened all of its business areas. The company was promoted to a higher league in spring 2008 through the acquisition of Kauko-Telko Oy from Kesko. Currently, Aspo has four strong business brands in leading positions in their sectors: ESL Shipping, Leipurin, Telko and Kauko.

 

1929

Asunto-osakeyhtiöitten Polttoaine Osuuskunta is founded

1949

The first vessel, m/s Arkadia, is acquired to mainly transport coal and coke.

1950

Etelä-Suomen Laiva Oy is founded.

1955

GHH is acquired and trade in the east is started. The company starts to trade in oil.

1964

A lubricant unit is founded.

1966

The first motorized vessel, m/s Malmi, is acquired.

1967

A single brand is set for products of GHH and Asunto-osakeyhtiöitten Polttoaine Osuuskunta: ASPO.

1968

GHH starts to represent steel sheets made by Rautaruukki.

1969

The establishment of the chemicals unit starts.

1970

The office building for all business units is built in Herttoniemi.

1971

The shipping company takes delivery of its first newbuilding: m/s Eira.

1972

The company expands into electronics. Aspoyhtymä Oy is founded.

1975

The company structure is clarified by centralizing commercial activities in Aspo. The name of GHH is changed to Aspo Oy.

1976

The first steel service center is set up in Järvenpää. Henrik Nyberg is appointed CEO of Aspo and Aatos Vehmas is appointed chairman of the Board of Directors.

1977

A chemical terminal is acquired in Rauma.

1980

The shipping company takes delivery of the largest vessel in its history, m/s Kontula. The shipping company's tonnage increases to 100,000 dwt.

1981

Aspo Oy's shares are quoted on the brokerage list.

1985

Oil operations are sold to Neste.

1989

The transition business and chemical terminal are established in Kotka.

1990

Functions of the component unit are merged into Aspocomp Oy.

1993

Steel trade is relocated under the joint venture Asva.

1994

Aspoyhtymä Oy becomes the Group's parent company. Operations are transferred to subsidiaries. The incorporation of the chemical group gives birth to Aspokem Oy and Sonmarin Oy. The name of the shipping company is changed to ESL Shipping Oy.

1995

Service station and marine systems are merged under Aspo Systems Oy Aspoyhtymä Oy's shares are quoted on the official list. Aspokem establishes a subsidiary in Tallinn and sets up a representative office in St. Petersburg.

1998

Asva is sold to Rautaruukki and steel trade is discontinued. Aspokem founds subsidiaries in Latvia and Lithuania. Sales offices in St. Petersburg and Moscow in Russia.

1999

Demerger into two separate listed companies: Aspocomp Group Plc and Aspo Plc. Gustav Nyberg is appointed CEO of Aspo Plc. Aspo has three businesses: Chemicals, Shipping and Systems.

2000

Aspokem establishes a subsidiary in St. Petersburg. Marine navigation business is incorporated into Navintra Oy.

2001

The shipping company takes delivery of a new m/s Eira from Japan.

2002

The shipping company acquires Travans, a pusher transportation company. Navintra is sold to Furuno. Autotank from Sweden is acquired.

2003

Aspo's office building in Herttoniemi is sold.

2004

Aspokem establishes a subsidiary in Ukraine.

2005

Aspokem establishes a subsidiary in Sweden.

2007

Aspokem acquires Wilfert Chemical Nordic, a Danish supplier of plastic raw materials. M/s Arkadia is sold.

2008

Autotank is sold and Kauko-Telko Oy is acquired. Now, Aspo has four businesses: ESL Shipping, Leipurin, Telko and Kauko.

2009

Aki Ojanen is appointed CEO of Aspo Plc and Gustav Nyberg is appointed Chairman of the Board of Directors. M/s Kontula is sold. Leipurin expands to Siberia, Tatarstan and Ukraine.

2010

ESL Shipping places the largest vessel order in its history by ordering two Supramax vessels. Leipurin grows through an acquisition in Latvia and expands its operations to Kazakhstan. Telko expands to Kazakhstan and Belarus.

2011

ESL Shipping takes delivery of m/s Alppila. Leipurin acquires Vulganus Oy.

2012

ESL Shipping takes delivery of Supramax vessels. M/s Hesperia is sold.

2015

ESL Shipping signs a long-term transportation agreement with SSAB and orders two LNG-fueled bulk carriers.


Updated: 07.04.2017